2019-03-16

Reading/Writing Journal

I have two immediate coworkers.  One has started reading more often, and as such has spread the fire to me and our other coworker.  So far, I've only read one book that they've both read.  It was called "The Woman in the Window."  I enjoyed it well enough, although I don't think I would have chosen it as a book to read on my own.  Like the other gal pals of mine, I found the plot twists surprising, but the writing of the final twist felt a little rushed.  I felt like it could have been written with language that was a little more parallel to the set up. 

The personal resurgence in reading has motivated me to fall back into utilizing my "Something Old, Something New, Something Random, Something True" routine.  The book previously mentioned was published in 2018 and I happened to be rereading The Mill on the Floss.  I next picked up a copy of Ender's Game (a second copy, unbeknownst to myself until I started reading, but it was $1 and my other copy was/is still packed away) and the other night I put away some of my nonfiction books from the boxes from a year ago, so I chose a book my mom got me for my birthday a few years ago.  It's on par with other books my mom has gifted/loaned me: subpar.

Tonight, I have begun to come back to my writing group.  Just in time for Camp NaNo next month.  And, like so many other months, I've got an idea!  I'm going to do some autobiographical humorous stories/essays.  In the next few days, once this flooding news has come down a bit, I'm going to pose a question to my facebook friends and ask which is their favorite of the stories that I tell.  I think.  I may make those decisions on my own.  Perhaps, I should do that, anyway. 

Definitely going to include when my roommate bought a couch and we tried carrying it in the trunk of a car.  Also needing to include the story of my golden birthday turning into a spontaneous moving party for a stranger.  (Well, technically a coworker of one my friends, but she was the only one who knew the person.)  Will need to also include an essay on each of my vehicles: Clarence, the T-bird that my friend backed into in her driveway when she was taking me out to teach me stick shift; Casey the Cutlass, the grandma car I ended up driving around with one and half spinners; Pamela the Pontiac, who went through two timing chains and was paid off on my birthday; Lucille the minivan I bought for $500 on my birthday and drove for three years; LuAnn, my current van that I bought with $100 and my tax return.  That ought to keep me busy enough for the month of April.  I'll need to save something for July and November!

No comments: