2009-04-08

Reading Journal

I am really liking Ender's Game. Is it my favorite book? Probably not. But is it worth my reading again? Most definitely. I should be moving through it faster, though. I'm sure I would have finished it this weekend had I not been feeling a little carsick.

What I really like about this book is it's ability to be a mind boggler if you give it that opportunity. Or you can take it as a light read. Absolutely fabulous, and I can't wait to tell the friend who got it for me that I like it. I told one of my managers today that I was liking it (she saw it sticking out of my purse) and she said she couldn't stand it. But that her husband is a huge Orson Scott Card fan; has all of Card's books in hard copy and autographed.

I wish I'd have gone through or kept track of some of my favorite quotes. As it is, all I've got are these from page 26

It isn't the world at stake, Ender. Just us. Just humankind....As a
species, we have evolved to survive. And the way we do it is by straining
and straining and, at last, every few generations, giving birth to genius.
The one who invents the wheel. And light. And flight. The one
who builds a city, a nation, an empire.

"Human beings are free except when humanity needs them."

And these from 162 and 163, respectively:
"Real respect takes longer than official respect."
"Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be."

No comments: