2009-05-11

Writing Journal

You know those poems you read in school and the teacher asks, "What do you think the author was thinking when this poem was penned?" Well, when students and other sources would come up with multiple possibilities for interpretation, I had a hard time believing they could all be applicable. How can someone write a poem that's about more than one thing? Sure, I believe more than one interpretation can be applied to something written, but how can they know that while they're writing it?

I still don't know how it's possible, but writing this poem helped me figure out that it is.

Official inspiration for the following, untitled hiaku, (which I define as my surroundings during the conception and development of the poem or other piece of writing) was a series of quotations I discovered while reading a little something not on my lit list. Feel free to assume whatever you like to regarding what this poem is "about;" I developed no less than three alternative interpretations myself, so chances are you could be right about something.

As always with my untitled work, feel free to suggest something.


Wrong falls upon my

Sinful head, then into your

Ever-loving hands.

No comments: