2010-08-21

Reading Journal

Go me! I got a chapter into "Dream Power" and then misplaced the book. Haven't seen it for a week. Haven't torn my life apart looking for it, either. I wanted to read "Indian Lawyer" before I loaned it to a friend I had mentioned it to. From what I remembered about the book, I thought he might have liked it. But it had been a while (5 years or so) since I had read it and wanted a refresher. So my plan was just to read that as my random.

I started reading it at the blood drive this morning. I got maybe 5 pages in and noticed that every page had had a swear word on it. Considering it begins with inmate conversations and most of them were of the tamer variety, I chose not let it stick. But then I saw the mother of all swear words and put the book back in my purse. I've gotten a lot more particular about what I read. Which will probably mean an impending purging of my library.

I'm just glad I read it before I loaned it to my friend, though. I'd hate to be responsible for exposing him to that language.

But that means I'm back to last week: Only my Old. Which I can't read right now because I'm not supposed to do any heavy lifting for 5 hours, and the hardbound complete works of Thomas Hardy would probably qualify. So I'm back to my shelves to pick out a Random. Maybe I should re-read "Coming of Age in Mississippi."

No comments: