2010-08-06

Writing Journal, Poetry

I've been having a lot of dreams lately. For about 3 weeks now. I mean, like, a lot. At least 10 a week. It's been exhausting, mentally speaking. And the vast majority of them are not pleasant. They aren't frightening or night terrors or anything-there are no hooded figures chasing me around at night-but I've been feeling panicked while dreaming. Like needing to leave a particular place or being concerned about someone else in the dream.

I'm used to my dreams having an impact on my life, but never at this frequency.
I'm also feeling a little stressed tonight, since I found out I have to put together a 16 page magazine/newspaper this week while going about my daily life.
So I decided to write a poem about it. I don't know why I chose the title "Hyperventilate," so if you've got a better one, feel free to shoot it at me.


Hyperventilate
I've been lost inside myself.
I don't know how I got here,
Or what purpose this trip is serving,
But I need to get out.
And fast!

My ears feel like they're
Caught in a vice grip.
My dreams are getting
To be too much.

There's not enough time in the day
For me to deal with their unpleasantness.
Why can't the panic attack me in waking hours?
Why must it assault me in my sleep,
When I am most powerless against it?

Why does my subconscious think it fair to
Heap this on me once a year?

No comments: