2011-08-24

Writing Journal

I've decided I like doing what I call "Project Poems."


Kind of Hallmarky sort of things, I guess.


Similar to a homework assignment, there are certain things I tell myself I have to work into the poem. Doing so provides me with a structure to work within, which results in me enjoying my poetry a little more. And that way, too, it's not art just for art's sake.

For this one, I gave someone a CD from the band Riverside as a gift of gratitude and thought I'd include a poem incorporating the names of some of the songs. I also colored rainbows on some paper and wrapped it before putting it in the envelope. (You'll understand when you get to the end of the poem).

The Ultimate Trip: From Fearland to Fearless
Words alone are not enough
To thank you for helping
With something so tough
As a Schizophrenic Prayer.

Through the Other Side of the phone,
You saved me from Parasomnia
And I somehow felt less alone
When I emerged from my 02 Panic Room.

Nope. Words, they still won't do,
Even though I've tried.
So I'll say it with a song or two
Wrapped inside the Rainbow Box.

No comments: