2012-03-12

Writing Journal

A few things this weekend reminded me of the loss of a friend(ship).
My facebook status this morning was
"Dear Seashmore's Body,
I'm sorry for waking you up at 4 this morning and not going back to bed. But I hope that emotionally healing poem I wrote makes up for it.
Forever yours,
Seashmore's Brain"

This one was so inspired, it even has a working title! This is the 4 a.m. draft, and it definitely needs some fixing up before I call it finished.

You That I Once Knew
While I miss your body,
I mostly miss your soul.
The You that I see now is
Not the You that I once knew.

You're better in some ways,
This I won't deny.
But somehow, over time, the world
Has lost the You that I once knew.

But maybe the parts that
Made You whole haven't
Left this earth, for I have found
Pieces of the You that I once knew;

Strewn about my friends,
A hand hold here, a kind word there,
A wisecrack in my ear, almost
Bring back the You that I once knew.

It's not your presence I miss the most,
Not your laugh, your smile, your hug.
It's not the things that can be refound-
I miss the You that I once knew.

No comments: