2011-12-20

Reading/Writing Journal

2010 was Year of the Newlywed
Had a blast. Came out surprisingly unbitter.
2011 was Year of Full (Appropriate) Disclosure
It took some adjusting, especially while learning what constituted "appropriate."

I've decided to make 2012 Year of the Poem
I'm going to write (what amounts to) a poem a day with the hopes that at least 10 of them will be good. I've tried this during Lent for a couple of years, and it worked out pretty well. For the most part. My current roommate does NaNoWriMo and meets with a group of people every Saturday. I'm hoping this will be good motivation for me to go with her at least occassionally to type up what I write and fine tune the ones with potential.

I'd also like to read more poetry, but I'm not quite sure how to incorporate that into my reading "program." For those of you unfamiliar with my reading "program" or "cycle" here it is:
Something Old (a classic)
Something New (within the past 3 years)
Something Random (typically re-reads, YA books or stuff that doesn't fit any other category)
Something True (not fiction)

But the thing about poetry is that it varies much more in length than books. I can't pledge a poem a day. A haiku is not the same as the Faerie Queen. I thought about setting my goal at a poet a month, but there's no real standard for that, either. Basically, setting a quantified poetry reading goal is impossible. The best I can come up with is to read a poem every time I finish a book.
Which, now that I think about it, doesn't sound that bad.

Suggestions welcome. But please make them here.

No comments: