2015-07-04

Writing Journal: On Hallowed Ground

For some time, I've been thinking in generalities about writing a book about the history of the Winter Quarters temple.  This past week, though, the "do it" vibe has been gathering momentum.  Like, I actually came up with a schedule of deadlines.  I don't remember where I wrote them down, though.

I've been getting the impression that I need to do this.  Not just for me, but to hasten the Lord's work.  I feel almost conceited thinking that.  *runs off to listen to "In Me" by Casting Crowns*  The middle of the Venn diagram of People Who Can Get The Stories and People With Gumption to Write Them is slim.  As in, I may be the only one.  Over the course of the past, let's say eight years, I have heard so many stories that pertain to the building and dedication of the Winter Quarters Nebraska Temple.  And they have all caught my heart.  Why else would I notice how many times I heard about the snowstorm of '97?  Because that actually played a role in obtaining the ground for the temple.  Why else would I have been assigned to work so many shifts as an ordinance worker?  To develop a love for the place.  I can think of no other building I want to wrap my arms around.

I even have a title for the book, too.  On Hallowed Ground.  I checked Amazon and Goodreads, and neither of them have a book listed by that name or one about the history of that particular temple.  Not that I'm surprised.  Like I said, who else would write it?  Who else would think enough of this idea to think it a good one and come close to going through with it.

Honestly, though, it scares me.  It scares me that it will be well received and I'll get praise for it.  I don't want praise.  I don't like limelight.  But I don't want it to not do well, either.  I want to write it so that it will inspire people to go there and do work for their ancestors.  To learn about and hold sacred the covenants made there today.  A lot of people know the history of the place; there are plenty of books about historical Winter Quarters.  I want people to know about the temple.  To know the stories of the people who dedicated a portion of their life to seeing it come about.  I want people to love it as much as I do, so that they will go there and grow closer to our Savior.

But it's not just success that scares me.  It's taking that first step.  It's calling people, on the phone, and asking to talk to them about their experiences.  It's the interviews and setting them up.  Not because I don't want to talk to these people or talk to them about the temple, but because then they'll know.  I'll have people who will be holding me accountable.  I can't interview someone for a book and then not write the book.  I need a cheerleader.  I need someone I feel knows me.  Someone I can believe when they say, "I know you can do this.  You need to do this."  Because I'm sure I can find someone to give me empty encouragement.  I'm looking for someone who can tell me when I've bitten off more than I can chew.  I need someone who knows my skill set and someone who understands the depth and breadth of this project on both a professional and spiritual level.  And I don't know if that person exists.
(True story, though: when a local paper interviewed me via e-mail about doing NaNoWriMo, the wife of the temple's architect read the article and told me she was impressed by my dedication to the craft.)

No comments: