2012-12-03

Writing Journal

Partai!

I finished NaNo! 

In that I wrote 50,200 words of a novel.  I did not, however, finish telling the story I wanted to.
Since validating my novel,  I added an acknowledgements page (and a half).  It's some of my best work, and perhaps I'll share that excerpt here.  I've perused some of the pages, and I've cut probably 1,000 words already.  I did take out a scene that took up an entire page and a half because it made me uncomfortable, and not in a good way, but I've also removed a lot of "that"s, which is a great fluff word.  One of the biggest whoopsies I noticed was that I kept switching the names of the towns.

There is a larger town and a smaller town.  Sometimes I called the larger town Harbringer and sometimes I called it Colbion.  Sometimes I called the smaller town Harbringer and sometimes I called it Colbion.  So you can see some need for clarification.

It also wasn't until the very last scene I wrote that I gave one of my characters a last name.  (Come to think of it, Justin doesn't have one, either, I don't think.)  The last sentence I wrote was:
"He was very proud of the people that is children had becomed."
Not literary's finest, but it will be finished someday.

No comments: