2009-03-11

Reading Journal

A book I wish I had: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst. I'm going to put that on my list of books to look for when I go to Half Price Books. The other one on the list: The Princess Bride. I've loaned out two copies of that book and neither one of them have been returned. Believe me, I've learned my lesson. I'm so desperate to find it that if I don't see it listed under "Goldman" I look under "Morgenstern," just in case someone is interested in playing a joke. Like how Stacy and I didn't really lace that pineapple sherbert with iocane powder; we just didn't want anyone to steal it.

One Thing...
The second half of this book has made me realize that if I've completed a cycle before I've completed the book (because, seriously, who only has a bookmark in one book at a time?), I should give it up. It's just not holding my interest as much as it once was. But if my bookmark's still in it by the time I get to the next book in my "True" category, this one's going back on the shelf. To be donated the next time I get my boxes to Goodwill.

...going over the 4th out of 10 commandments to keep the Sabbath day holy...(p. 114)
"No matter what you consider as keeping the Sabbath, you have broken it--and so has everyone else."
That's all Cahill says on the subject. What? Excuse me? Say that again? So, to paraphrase, you're telling me that, no matter what I do, I can't keep this commandment? What? What?

The Bluest Eye
Normally books make me think about things. I try to make connections, see beyond the words on the page, stretch the story into my life and my experiences somehow. But Morrison's descriptions and observations leave me without thoughts. At least, they are this time around. This is the closest I've come to finding a book that truly allows me to entirely escape myself in a long time. Which is rather enjoyable for a spell.

No comments: