2009-03-06

Writing Journal (Day Nine)

In the same way that a Law & Order episode can be "ripped straight from the headlines" in the promo and they still show the "any resemblance to any real persons, events, etc. are unintentional" (or however their legal jargon phrases it), this poem has been influenced by events, emotions and experiences actually in my life, but any resemblance to any one in particular is purely coincidental. Believe me as you will.

That being said, I won't reveal what, precisely, from my past influenced the writing of this poem. Partly because they're very personal. But also because I'm not entirely sure. Some stanzas were from something that happened to me, some were from something that happened to someone I knew, some are purely fictional.

This one has been the hardest for me to title thus far.
__________________________________________
Freight Train

The trouble that you've been in
Is more than I can share.
I know that you've cried through your dark
For someone there to care.

With their own ears full of steam,
They simply could not hear you.
Not until it was far too late,
Did someone know they knew.

It was a lonely train whistle
Coming round the bend.
At merely seventeen years old,
You were ready for it to end.

But someone else had switched the tracks
And you were losing steam.
That lovely face appeared to you
In the middle of a dream.

She didn't try to stop you;
No way she ever could.
Instead she simply let you coast
While living as she should.

Sooner or later,
The time would come, she knew,
When you would finally see the light
And find yourself renewed.

No comments: