2009-03-20

Reading/Writing Journal (Day 22)

"Draglines" is pretty great. I'll have to go back through the BCR's and read what work of his we published. (I think it might have been fiction.) A lot of his themes would be really familiar to the parents of the Baby Boomers. He takes some really cool perspectives.

How I came about this book:
Patrick Hick's came and did a reading at BCU and had some books for sale. Maybe he only had the one chapbook, maybe he had more and I could only afford the chapbook; I don't remember. Anyway, I had him autograph my copy. Last night, I found something I had written on the back page of the chapbook that must have been something he said during his reading: Inspiration is that moment when you see things in a way no one else sees them. Totally love that! Thanks, former seashmore, for documenting that quote.

Some of my favorite poems are:
Lipstick Traces
The Corpse
The Four Elements
The Unimagined

Some quotes (which means, according to the copyright, that this is to be considered a critical article)

The Four Elements
"amid the geometry of the dead."
"The horizon is a peaceful monotone,"

This poem really struck me and I'm a huge fan of the symmetry between the second and third stanzas. It highlights how people all over are simultaneously different and the same. From an individual basis to a general one.

The Unimagined
"At the lighting of each dawn,/he ['my imaginary friend'] collects my old dreams/and carts them away."

No wonder I can't remember some of my dreams! A forgotten imaginary friend has stolen them away! (My imaginary friend is so forgotten and long gone that I don't remember having one. Unless Jonathon Crom has forever been a powerful figment of my imagination that once left me alone. I don't have my old school class pictures from elementary school to prove that he really existed; they're in Wisconsin.)

________________________________
The other day, we rearranged our front room. The couch fits perfectly in the little space in front of the windows. Which means it faces the stairs. Not a big fan of staring at the stairs, but it might grow on me. Of course, it would grow faster if we weren't going to be storing a wedding dress from the banister so my roommate's sister's fiancee doesn't see it. Keep in mind my roommates and I are all 100% single, "with no prospects that anyone can detect." (Utah Philips) Last night, I sat on the couch and wrote this poem:

The Stairs
As much as I'll hate
Staring at the stairs,
I suppose it beats
The table and folding chairs.

Soon the white dress
Will be hung
As a constant reminder
Of what is to come.

The struggles we'll
Have with their troubles;
How there will be triples,
Not doubles.

That looming bag
From the stairs--
We'll try to hide it
To stop the ripping of our hairs,

But it will
Be of no use.
We'll all still know
How men are obtuse.

No comments: