2009-03-18

Writing Journal (Day 21)

Over halfway there!!

Today was my day off, which I love. And being in the outdoors, enjoying the beautiful weather we've been given, was the inspiration for this. How it came to be: I went for a walk. Intending to go to the bank and back. But then my friend called me and it sounded urgent. I wanted to talk to her, but without the noise of traffic. Well....there was an entrance to a recreational trail (used for biking and walking alike) nearby, so I figured, what the heck? Gets me away from traffic and it's nice out.

Well, after I got off the phone, I kept on because I knew there was a bench up ahead that another friend of mine mentioned he wanted to capture on film. At the time he showed it to me, I couldn't think of a way to do that. I thought I'd see what I could come up with. So I kept walking. Good news: I think I might have found a way! (Yay!)

Anyway, there's a park near the bench. It was empty, being a school day and still fairly early in the morning. I guess. I don't really know why people weren't using it. At the beginning of my walk, I had seen a swingset at a church/school and thought "that looks like fun; I haven't been on on a swing in a long time." Well.....the park was empty, there were swings, everything was pretty far from the road. (Not that doing something childish would embarass me or anything...) So I took off my shoes and my socks (but kept my coat on) and went for it!

Here's the poem that ensued:

On the Swing
The stillness turns to breeze
As I soar into the sky.
My hair falls back while
I fly forward,
Through the trees
Into the cloudy blue.

The sand falls from between my toes,
Back down to another place
Along the leafy ground.

"Soar,
two-three,
four"
Drowns out the gentle
Squeaky creak of an
Otherwise flawless flight.

The smile on my face fades
As I glimpse the shadow that shows
Me to be older than I feel.
The blue plastic seat
Only reaffirms
My battle with the ages.

No comments: