2009-03-03

Writing Journal (Day Six)

I was having some trouble with inspiration for today's. I tried figuring out which sense of mine was at it's peak, but couldn't come up with one. Did I want to write about what I saw? What I heard? What I felt (physically, as in with my fingers)? I was just having the hardest time finding something to notice!

After my break (where I had tried to work on the poem), I was talking with my crew-mates. Tab and I ended up talking about rap. Got me thinking back to the rap stage in my writing during high school. Very brief. But I asked around: what is something that a rapper wouldn't rap about? Because that's precisely what I wanted to "rap" about.

The answer I came up with: Trivial Pursuit.

I was going to come home after FHE, go down to the library and bust out my Genus Edition of the game and go to town. But when I got home, I got distracted by Maggie and Jay's Headlines and then the two movies that we watched before I went to bed....
So I struggled with this one, again about my younger years.

One of my goals for Wednesday (since I've effectually grounded myself until Institute) is to go through the poems I've forced out and see if I can't find something to work with here.


Echoes of the Past
Echoes of the past come back
To haunt me in my dreams.
Through the three-tiered windows,
I am taken back to a younger self,
Legs dangling out the middle
As I devise ways to sneak
In and back out when I was older.

I tried to be rebellious,
But I saw how that turned out:
No one home to know if I'd been a fool.
Even at my worst,
I never was that bad.

A lump on a log,
A knot in your throat;
You never did tell me
What it was all about.

No comments: