2009-03-16

Reading Journal

I'm almost done with "The Bluest Eye!" This means I'll be getting to "Draglines" soon!

p. 164
"Knowing his label provided him with both comfort and courage, he believed that to name an evil was to neutralize if not annhiliate it."

I really identify with this. It wasn't until I discovered more about Seasonal Affective (Depression) Disorder that I was able to fight it. When I learned about it, I realized that I had had it for a number of years but had dismissed it for various reasons. Once I was educated, I learned how to take hold of the disorder and have been able to neutralize it more often than not. Which is much improvement from where I was before I knew what was going on with my body and emotional life.

p. 206
"Love is never any better than the lover. Wicked people love wickedly, violent people love violently, weak people love weakly, stupid people love stupidly..."
Hard to believe this is Morrison's first novel. I might re-read "Beloved" again as my next "Old."

No comments: